STEM education fosters curiosity and encourages kids to ask questions about the world we live in. This Kazoom Kids easy at-home STEM activity for kids is the perfect way to keep your curious kiddo engaged and excited about science!
- Learn about constellations with your child using facts, myths, and pictures of constellations. If possible, look for constellations together in the night sky. Build a foundation of constellation knowledge before introducing the idea of them creating their own constellation.
- Set up materials.
- Encourage your child to create their own constellation using a variety of methods:
- Wear a blindfold and have them make “stars” at random, then take the blindfold off and experiment with ways to connect them.
- Give your child prompts to follow:
- Make a constellation using 4 stars, 5, 6…
- Make a constellation to fit a certain form, for example, a constellation for their pet, favorite animal, house, letter, etc.
- Experiment with different materials:
- Create stars using a Q-tip or the end of a paintbrush handle.
- Create a spray of stars by dipping the toothbrush in paint and flicking the bristles over the paper.
- Have your child come up with their own constellation.
- Introduce the idea of your child developing their own myth about the constellations they have made.You could choose to have them dictate the story and you write it down, or instead, you could turn it into a chance for dramatic play or even a theatrical show! Make props and costumes and either write a script to follow or act it out as you go along.
Click here to download the PDF version how to Create Your Own Constellations.